Tasty Recipies For A Better You
Sometimes in winter, it’s easy to fall into a bad eating trap. It’s cold, and running out to the grocery store is a lot more daunting than it is when the weather is warm. So sometimes we end up making the not so healthy choice. But, it’s easy to cultivate a collection of both easy and healthy recipes that can be made, again and again, and are quick and easy to put together. In this issue, we’ve gotten a healthy collection of recipes supplied by Canada’s own award-winning chef, Trevor Richie. So give them a try and see how easy tasty healthy can be!
Roasted Tomato Soup with Feta Cheese & Sourdough Croutons.
Roasted Tomato Soup Ingredients:
- 10ea Roma Tomatoes
- 1 white small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bundle basil
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- Black Pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Mix half of the tomatoes in a bowl with EVOO, salt and black pepper.
- Place them on a baking tray with the flesh side down. Roast tomatoes in the oven until the skin has darkened and tomatoes have shrunk. (15-20 minutes).
While the tomatoes are roasting, heat EVOO in another large pot. Sweat the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the remaining fresh tomatoes to the pot and cook over medium heat until the fresh tomatoes have broken down (5-10minutes) Add the roasted tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring the whole pot to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer. Toss in the basil leaves.
- Cook for 45-60minutes
- Place the soup in a blender or use a hand blender to puree the soup.
Sourdough Croutons Ingredients:
- 1 loaf Sourdough bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dried Oregano
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Remove the crust off the loaf and tear crumbs into manageable pieces.
- Lightly toss the crouton in a bowl with EVOO, salt and Oregano.
- Place the croutons over a wired rack and toast them in the oven. (2-4 minute) *It will toast very quickly
- Ladle the soup into a bowl, break apart the feta and generously sprinkle over the soup.
- Add the croutons and drizzle a bit more EVOO.
- 2 ea Heirloom tomatoes
- 2 ea yellow peaches
- 2 tsp sugar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt Black Pepper
Vegetarian Rice Paper Roll
- 15 Vietnamese rice paper roll
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned red bell pepper
- 1 head green leaf lettuce
- 1 bundle Thai basil
To assemble the rolls:
- dip 1 rice wrapper in a large bowl of hot water for a few seconds to soften.
- Place wrapper on a clean work surface and top with the lettuce leafs, carrots, bell pepper and basil.
- Fold left and right edges of the wrapper over the filling and roll up the spring roll.
- 1ea lime zest
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2.5 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 thinly sliced Thai chili
Combine all the ingredients together. You can also use store bought Vietnamese chili sauce.