With so much competition for jobs these days, sometimes even getting to the interview stage can be quite a challenge. And once you get there, you want to make sure you are well prepared. Here are some tips to help get you that much closer to scoring the job.
1. Follow the company you are interviewing for on Google alerts. Anytime a relevant news story is published about the company, you’ll be up to date with any relevant information.
2. Review your social media. The majority of employers look up potential employees on social media. To make this task easier, try out an app such as social sweeper. It will detect any photos of beer bottles, solo cups and the like, so you can then delete them from your feeds. It will even alert you to any profanity that you’ve used.
3. Have stories ready by practicing them beforehand. Try to have at least three that follow the common format of problem, action, result. Once you have these stories committed to memory, you will be able to adapt them to a variety of situations and questions.
4. Remember to send a follow up email thanking the interviewer. This is helpful if you were interviewed early in the process and will keep the conversation going even if you don’t end up getting the job you applied for.
5. Have a list of questions prepared that you want to ask the employer; they shouldn’t be the only ones asking questions.
6. Make sure you have all your non-verbal communication down to a tee. Stand straight, make eye contact, have a firm handshake. Non-verbal things can make or break an interview.